Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Marriage in the Time of Facebook

I was looking just now at my friends' pictures and postings on Facebook.

Many of them who are married, I realized, have a certain kind of Facebook marriage. They have a child or children. They have been together for a long time. They have been friends, it seems, forever. Their pictures are very family, very smiling, very aging-gracefully.

My marriage is not like that.

Others on Facebook appear to be single, though they are married. Their profiles do not list a partner, or have a link to their page. If you didn't know that they were married, behind the scenes, you would never know it from cruising around Facebook.

My marriage is also not like that.

My husband and I are both on Facebook. I list him as my spouse and have a link on my page to his page.

He has about 15 friends, I have about 100. I have 20 photo albums. I'm not sure he knows that. He must, though, wouldn't you think? Isn't that something you would do if you were him, after I'd gone to sleep one Sunday night? Check out your wife's Facebook page?

I fear he doesn't. I fear that he doesn't even wonder.

That is what it is like in my marriage.